Plating Out Toner [was RE: Old Postcard Silver Patina]

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 01/07/06-08:55:01 AM Z

Judy,
How do I make the "plating-out" toner that you used to achieve the silvered
effect? Can it be used on any of the Iron processes? Or only to silver? I
have another project which the silvered look would be desirable.
http://www.mondotrasho.ca/pages/alt-photo/cards/pidgeon1.jpg
http://www.mondotrasho.ca/pages/alt-photo/cards/pidgeon2.jpg
http://www.mondotrasho.ca/pages/alt-photo/cards/pidgeon3.jpg
WWI instructional postcards showing how to send messages by pidgeon. They
are from a museum collection which the curators kindly photographed on a
copy table for a friend of mine who was researching the topic for a book. I
was going to reprint them with a couple of processes to give them a
distressed look. My original post may have sounded like I thought it was a
problem, but I was just trying to identify how the look comes into being.
The software salesman term: "it's not bug! it's a feature!" could certainly
hold true.

~m