RE: Old Postcard Silver Patina

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 01/07/06-05:36:59 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
        Forgive my "Bobby come lately" entrance into this thread but I just caught
up on reading my e-mails. Isn't the effect all of you have described
referred to as "dichroic fog" and is the result of not using an acid stop
bath (either going from dev straight into fix or using a water rinse w/o
acetic acid to reduce the pH) and using an acid fixer? It appears that
there is some reaction that results from putting a print which is still
alkaline from the developer into an acid fixer. I have been told that this
isn't a problem when using ammonium thiosulfate fixers which are of a higher
pH. Ryuji, can you comment on this?
I have been told by conservators that it isn't visible until after some
time. I recall seeing some lovely
2 1/4 X 3 1/4 contact prints of NYC buildings by Bernice Abbot which had
this "silvering" in the shadows.
                        CHEERS!
                                BOB

 Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/