Re: Old Postcard Silver Patina

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 01/07/06-03:09:47 PM Z

This patina thing . . . just a thought.
I have an RC print, pretty dagnabbed old now, from the early 70's,
that has this patina thing but primarily in the
darkest areas. It's of a group of Samburu men dancing after an
eclipse . . anyway, I was told then, that the plating of
the darker areas was due to a fixer fairly well used (I was really
poor in those days), therefore it's loaded with an
excess of silver. It cleared the highlights and mid-tones but did not
fully (seemingly) remove the remaining silver
from the dark areas such as the border of the 35 mm print.
Perhaps these postcard companies also used fix to a point it was not
in top condition.
Again, just a thought.
Jack Fulton