Re: Gum image has reversed

From: Bruce Pollock ^lt;moonrise@telus.net>
Date: 01/09/06-08:48:50 PM Z

Thanks to everyone for their quick and helpful responses. If anyone is
interested, I have posted a copy of my problem on this page:

http://www3.telus.net/pollock/gumdemo1.htm

I have taken a number of lessons from your advice:

(1) size the paper first
(2) cut way back on the pigment level
(3) try a different pigment altogether
(4) watch the exposure time

Here are a few other thoughts and replies to some of the other comments:

Humidity -- I live on the wet west coast of Canada where we have been
experiencing what we call the "Pineapple Express" series of winter storms
from Hawaii. I have no idea what the technical humidty level is at the
moment, but let's just say that the birds are swimming, not flying.

Exposure -- I started out trying to use my 4x5 enlarger with a Cold Light
Head as a light source. I think (not sure) that is should be a good source
of UV, but it's just not intense enough. I gave up on that and followed the
lead of Katharine (your web site is an invaluable resource) and tried my #2
photoflood. I found that I had to get my exposures up into the 20 minute
range in order to get anything at all. Anything in the 6 to 12 minute range
resulted in the gum just washing away. What I was trying to do was follow
the standard approach for making a silver gelatine print, i.e. find the
minimum exposure time which will give you maximum black in the unexposed
areas of a negative. That lead me to the 20 minute exposures. However,
given the advice on overloading my gum with too much pigment, I will try to
scale back my exposure times as I scale back my pigment.

Other reasons for reversal of images -- I'm not sure whether this is
relevent to printing with gum, but severe overexposure using silver
materials will reverse the tonality. Ansel Adams demonstrated this with an
image on one of his Basic Photo Series books. In a shot of the setting sun,
the sun itself has turned black (in the positive final print) because of its
severe overexposure in the negative. The rest of the image looks normal.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm out of town for the next few days and
won't be able to put it into action until the weekend. Stay tuned.