Re: Opaque v Transparent Pigments

From: Alex Chater ^lt;alex.chater@macunlimited.net>
Date: 01/10/06-03:59:19 PM Z

Hi

>From my experiences gained from Temperapint, I would just like to share some
of what I have come to understand regarding opaque v transparent.

With transparent colours I have found that each coat darkens the print
overall. The print is going toward the black, coat by coat as each subtracts
more light, its a one way road where I have to keep an eye on what the black
is doing lest it creep up the tonal scale. I find that transparent colours
are only a real problem when I tried to do all the work with just CMYK. I
feel that these printers need transparent colours to work well. For me they
do the bright chromatic colours well but don't work so well for shadow
colour

Opaque don't seem to work like this. It allows some ability to lighten an
image so that if a shadow falls dead you can bring some colour and
definition back because of the opacity. I also find that the range of the
colour is wider because many opaque pigments if rolled out thin are
effected, to a greater or lesser extent, by the colour below. If I chose a
suitable opaque colour to put on, then the colour below can work really well
producing a rich result that CMYK would be unlikely to give me. This
resultant colour can then be further moderated by a later transparent layer
on top

I feel that it's horses for courses. I like to use each for what they are
good at. Transparent for bright and lively colours and opaque for subtle and
rich colours. Together for me they give a rich and wide diversity of colour

Alex