Re: Glyoxal?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/14/06-05:25:08 AM Z

I wouldn't count on it. Glutaraldehyde is an excellent sterilizing agent
but at this low concentration and rapid reaction with gelatin, I don't
think there's enough excess to act as a sterilizing agent.

Usually, glut is used for sterilization purpose at pH of 8 or 8.5, and
at a concentration of 2 to 5%.

Of course, a lot weaker strength may be sufficient for bacteriostat
function. BUT for that goal I would recommend using 2-phenylphenol,
p-chloro-m-cresol, thymol, etc. rather than aldehydes.

All these things are discussed in depth multiple times, so you should be
able to find the info by searching the archive.