RE: Print Framing - A New Year's Resolution

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 01/14/06-09:04:14 AM Z

Ryuji,

Is there a reason not to frame your own work???

No, I have enough of that already. Actually I have a very large bulletin
board in my office that I pin new work on. So my work there changes as time
goes on.

16x20 frame is the smallest frame I bought in last 5 years. When I use
aluminium frame (Neilsen), I can definitely feel the weight
difference. I don't worry about the weight of 16x20 glass frame when
hang properly on wall, but I do feel a significant difference when I
carry many framed photographs at once. It's also easier to carry a
stack of plexi sheets than glass from the shop to studio.

I don't [lan on moving it often and if I do it will be packed.

A problem with plexi is that it is easy to get scratched.

That's what I thought.

 (A lot of cheap factory assembled
frame kits use glasses with greenish tint...)

All the frames will be custom chopped, the frame styles will be custom
ordered and made of wood.

I use 8-ply matte window for 16x20 and larger, and cutting a large,
clean window out of 8-ply board is a bit of skill. Also, securely and
archivally mounting a 20x24 piece of paper may take a bit of thoughts,
too.

I can't cut mattes that large so those will be custom cut too. I will so the
final assembly. I've been matting and framing work for years so this isn't a
new experience for me. As for 8 ply I may use it if I can get it cut locally
in the material, color, and finish I need.

Don Bryant