Re: Glyoxal?

From: Marek Matusz ^lt;marekmatusz@hotmail.com>
Date: 01/17/06-10:56:41 AM Z

All,
I would add even one more factor to this glyoxal issue and gum observations
in general. Most of the observations are not made with scientific
instruments, where the readings are objective from place to place. They are
made by looking at, feelingt the samples, etc, very objective tests in their
nature. For example what Katharine might call a non-yellowing glyoxal siezed
paper might be a slight yellow tint to Chris. When I first used glyoxa /
gelatine mix I decided I got no yellow stain, later I changed my mind and
said that slight yellow stain was observed. I rinse my papers the day after
they are sized, which keeps tha papers white and pre-shrinks them at the
same time. I am still experimenting with the most conveniet way to sieze the
papers for gum.
I have been experimenting with gelatine/dichromate with quite good results.
Marek, Houston