Re: Gelatin-polymer blend (was Re: Gesso sizing)

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 01/19/06-05:08:41 PM Z

Hi:

Liquitex make a clear acrylic gesso - I assume (bad practive) that is has
no titanium whitener.

I have been playing around with sizing techniques.

Did a mix of gelatin (250 ml) and a little (20 ml) white blue, hardened
with chrome alum, rolled on with a foam roller. Seemed to give a much
smoother/cleaner surface than plain gelatin. But then the gelation coat
may simply have been poorly coated.

Gord

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> I've tried gesso mix but one objection I had was that the acrylic
> gesso is gritty because of matting agents in the mix. Another
> objection I found is that the gesso contained titanium white and other
> things I would not want to have in my prints unless archivality is
> proven in the particular combination. Titanium white is very
> photoactive and generates a lot of radical chain reaction in the
> material when exposed to UV, and this was the main cause of problems
> in early days of RC papers. Photographic industry learned enough and
> today's products have good amount of means to prevent the problem, but
> I am not sure of gesso in sizing layer.

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2