Re: Gelatin-polymer blend (was Re: Gesso sizing)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/19/06-09:23:15 PM Z

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:

> Liquitex make a clear acrylic gesso - I assume (bad practive) that is has
> no titanium whitener.

Definitions change over time -- I remember when a "dork" was a jerk,
which is to say a nudnik, and now it seems it's an expert, geek or techie.
So I say with some reservations that by definition *traditionally* a gesso
had to have a whiting substance in it. To quote Mayer: It's made by mixing
"an inert white pigment such as chalk, whiting or slaked plaster of Paris
with an aqueous binder such as a solution of glue, gelatin or casein."

I don't think by the way that gesso has titanium -- Mayer has a section on
"Defects of Gesso panels" which I haven't read for 105 years, but my
recollection is that they would be some kind of cracking, which presumably
(better word than "assume," n'est-ce pas?) would be obviated by the
gelatin.

When I learned to make gesso, 103 years ago, we slaked plaster of Paris...
and somewhere along the line I was told that *rotten* plaster made the
best gesso, that is, you slake then keep a year or so til it rots. I made
some up and worked off it for a long time -- I haven't used the gelatin
gesso mix for a while (Bernie Boudreau's version is cited in P-F #6),
because for my printing, plain Knox hardened in glyoxal or formaldehyde
proved easiest & best. But I still have a couple of inches of the rotten
plaster in a gallon container.

That's the beauty of rotten plaster -- it keeps !

PS. Gord: Does Liquitex call that clear stuff "gesso", or ...? Is "white
blue" a misprint for "white glue"... or... ? (Elmers, maybe?) How do you
clean the foam roller? Any special kind of foam?

TIA,

Judy