Coating Ziatyes with polyurethane wood finish

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 01/21/06-05:59:53 PM Z

I coated a 31-step tablet Ziatype test print with Hydrocote Polyshield Clear
Satin polyurethane wood finish using a #30 (30 micron coating thickness)
meyer coating rod. When I checked the new print densities visually using a
reference test print (made with the same emulsion, same day, consecutively)
I can see that the Dmax improved by 3 steps = 1 stop!!! This is great
Dmax-vise. But I'm not sure if the new surface look is everyone's cup of
tea. It looks like a so-called pearl finish (albeit a little bit more
reflective). Besides the Dmax improvement, the good side of this
polyurethane coating is that I will be able to exhibit my prints without a
glass in front of them; the polyurethane finish seals the paper so well that
you can wipe any dust particles with a moistened tissue.

I thought it would be useful to some of you.

Regards,
Loris.