Gelatine - Borax - Formaldehyde

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 01/21/06-05:23:57 PM Z

Thanks for the info Ryuji... Probably you missed my other question to you:

Few days ago I asked "How much borax I should add to water in order to make
formaldehyde work faster?" becase you said formaldehyde works faster when PH
is over 8... The web resouces I managed to find (mostly detergent-related)
say PH of borax is the same (9.2) regardless of soln. strength, and other
resources say borax water solubility is around 51gr per 1000ml (at 20C).

I plan to size paper with this procedure:

Will take 100ml of distilled water (20 - 24C), then will add 3gr of gelatine
and wait about 20 mins. Later, I will put the gelatine soln. container in a
hot water bath (50C) and wait until the soln. temperature raise to about 40
- 50C. Then I will stir to make the gelatine soln. Homogeneous. After that,
I will add 1gr. of borax and stir again and lastly I will add 1.5ml of
formaldehyde and stir again. Finally I will start to coat paper by dipping a
brush to the sizing soln. and brushing it on the paper.

Do you (and others) think it will work this way? This is not a gum-only
related question. I also plan to prime glass this way for making cyanotypes
on glass (three coats; first two being hardened gelatine, last one being 1+1
unhardened gelatine + cyanotype emulsion).

TIA,
Loris.