Re: Eastern European RC papers

From: fb ^lt;aikus2@freestart.hu>
Date: 01/23/06-04:37:13 AM Z

Loris,

as I wrote earlier the RC/PE papers has more risk
about silver degradation because soft gelatine layer
and the missing extra protective gel. layer. The high
density parts are most effective about the symptoms
of the deterioration because the large amount of the
silver. More in the case a multigrade paper that has a
multi silvered layer from higher speed (larger) silver
grains.

The fresh fixer and normal wash is not enough usually
to make a durable copy on RC (anyway the RC not the
best material for a long term unchanged print).

To get a good result by washing the water temp. need
to be higher than 20 C grade while the normal tap
water temp. usually lower.

My suggestion: try to use some fixer/hypo killer before
endwash (the simplest 10 % sodium sulphite solution
but I think still there are some factory products also).
Some toner (sulphur, selenium, gold, etc.) and a
gelatine hardening bath can be good too.

However the silver problems can be started because
storage conditions also (high temp., high RH, oxidous
gases in the air, high light/UV/IR radiation, etc.)

Bálint Flesch

http://archfoto.atspace.com/english.html