Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 01/27/06-09:16:26 AM Z

It is exciting that these issues are getting serious attention. It is too
soon to rule out any possibilities. Tom's observation that the grains of
pigment are moving in a puddle make me wonder if it is possible that static
electricity might be a factor. I apply powder (pigment in small grains of
plastic binder) to my metalwork via a static electric powder coating
process. It is amazing how little charge is needed to aggressively hold the
powder in place on the metal substrate. The Xerox process perfected the
photocopy use of light and static charge. Perhaps there is some weak static
charge generated in the environment under the darker areas of the negative.
That the grains are loose in a puddle doesn't sound like a hardened gum from
heat having crosslinked the gum. But, perhaps some combination of heat and
other factors causes the beginning of a weak crosslink coupled with a static
charge. The above are wild guesses for the sake of continuing the dialog.

Jack