Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/27/06-03:37:43 PM Z

On Jan 27, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Jack Brubaker wrote:

> Katherine wrote:
>

>> so on all the steps from 10 on, all the gum emulsion would wash off
>> the steps entirely except for the numbers,
>>

> Perhaps this is evidence for the static charge being involved. It
> might be
> that the charge holding the pigment in a surrounding area (when
> encircling
> an area like the numbers) overwhelms the the static charge in that
> area and
> eliminates or reverses the charge.

Umm, maybe I'm not following you here, but this doesn't make a lot of
sense to me. So let me rephrase to see if we're understanding each
other. The conditions in steps 10 through 21 (first strip) should be
the same; the question is, why did the numbers wash off only in steps
17 through 21? The numbers should consist of hardened gum of the
same density from steps 1 through 21. The stain is the same tone
from steps 10 to 21, meaning there's no more hardened gum underneath
to act as a resist against the stain, as there is in steps 5 through
8, and so the unhardened gum should dissolve equally and completely
from all the steps from 10 to 21. Your explanation above is
intriguing, but I don't think it takes these facts into account.
Katharine