Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 01/27/06-04:29:55 PM Z

Ahhh ... not so fast, Katherine :-)

I admit that at first I dismissed your idea of the pigment just laying
on top of the substrate without any gum to hold it. Since then, I have
seen this happen on paper, so I now changed my mind and agree that this
not only is possible but happens, at least with certain pigments.

But on the other hand, the images I have shown of my tests of gum on
glass show very clearly the presence of gum. The silvery sheen of gum is
clearly visible here
http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/Gum_on_glass_12.jpg for example.
Could you say that this is the color of plain lamp black on a black
glass? I don't think so.

I don't question your tests, since I have not seen them and under given
conditions everything seems possible at this point. In my case, the
layer of gum is very thin and rather fragile. But this doesn't mean that
there is no gum. You can see it by yourself and judge.

I do not pretend to understand how this happens, mind you. In general
terms it seems to be the same or a closely related effect as tone
inversion on paper. But since using glass without any substrate we have
taken the variable 'paper' out, we have, as perhaps you would say, one
less degree of freedom, which is great.

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain