Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 01/28/06-11:24:51 AM Z

Sorry, Katharine, I have posted this image some weeks before with a
clearer explanation of what it did mean. But taken out of
context it is perhaps not very illustrative. Never mind, I'll try to
organize this material better so it's easier to follow and understand.

Yes, living next door would be easier since surely we are looking at the
same things and calling them different names. On the other
hand, since you seem to be a woman of strong convictions, perhaps living
in Madrid is safer for me :-)

You know, I have been thinking about the fact that you have seldom found
inversion in your previous work. Even these days
in your tests, as far as I see, you seem to get easily pigment stain
but not inversion.

In my case it is very different. I get inversion when I want it, with
different papers and pigments. With normal negatives and
subexposition, or with Stouffer tablets, as you have seen.

In a nutshell, I wonder if the very different conditions of relative
humidity and temperature could make a difference. I gather that
you live somewhere on the West Coast up north, not sure if in the U.S.
or Canada, but certainly very humid. I live in a very
dry country. Gum is sensible to humidity, as Kosar dixit. It is a wild
guess, but I wonder ...

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain