Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 01/29/06-09:54:59 AM Z

Interesting. Your rightmost test strip is equivalent to the leftmost of
mine, but the unexpected thing is that you got this
result sizing more.

My results are quite the opposite, which is not surprising given all the
variables involved, many of them probably
unaccounted for. As I commented in a previous post, I made a test on
paper prepared for oil, very sized. A first coat
of 7% gelatine hardened in formalin plus 2 additional coats of 3%
gelatine. Normally you would let these two coats without
hardening for oil, but since I wanted to test gum, I hardened them also.
On this material I found only the slightest trace of stain
as you can see here
http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/SizingDifferences.jpg (the
leftmost three strips, which are
exposed 1min, 2 min and 3 min with the same mixture of Maimery Ivory
Black as my previous tests. The paper used
was Fabriano 5.

The rightmost three strips show a very stained experiment, on Guarro
Watercolor paper sized with two coats of acrylic
gesso 10% in water. At other times I have used gesso sizing (without
gelatine) without problems, even if I don't like it too much
because it really intrudes on the texture of the paper. But this time,
it stained horribly. Go figure. Perhaps it is the pigment
with this particular gesso (Pebeo, made in China).

My manifestations of terror of living near you were of course meant as a
joke. I have also never killed anyone and my friends
consider me a rather benign person. This is worrying, come to think of
it ...

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain