Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/29/06-12:26:15 PM Z

On Jan 29, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Tom Sobota wrote:

> Interesting. Your rightmost test strip is equivalent to the
> leftmost of mine, but the unexpected thing is that you got this
> result sizing more.

To round out my comments of yesterday, I've uploaded one more test
strip, to show what happened when I exposed the same mix of lamp
black on the heavily sized paper longer and developed it longer As
you can see, more exposure did reduce the stain on the over-sized
paper, but 3X the exposure still stained more than the same mixture
on normally sized paper, and the flaking and graining of the gum
emulsion makes the paper unusable anyway. The other thing I thought
was interesting was that on the more heavily sized paper, even with
extra long exposure, the steps all seemed to be close to the same
tone, where on my normally sized paper, the steps are more separated.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/missingnumbers.html

> My manifestations of terror of living near you were of course meant
> as a joke.

Of course.

> I have also never killed anyone and my friends
> consider me a rather benign person. This is worrying, come to think
> of it ...

Well, if it's any consolation, the neighbors of serial killers
invariably say, as he's led off in handcuffs, "But he seemed like
such a nice guy!"

You need to understand my sense of humor: very dry.

Katharine