Re: tonal inversion and pigment loads

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/29/06-10:23:10 PM Z

On Jan 29, 2006, at 3:15 PM, Yves Gauvreau wrote:

> Tom, Katharine et all,
>
> I would say both your test and Katharine show some inversion,
> whatever you
> did up to now, sizing, heavy sizing, half pigment load, extra long
> dev, etc.

In that case, you are calling any case of pigment stain an inversion,
which seems a bit extreme to me. I'm comfortable calling inversion a
special case of pigment stain; I've been criticised for doing so
unilaterally and prematurely, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as
to say that every case of pigment stain is an inversion as you seem
to be doing. I can't imagine, especially, what you see as an
inversion in my second strip, unless just the flaking off of number
21? That doesn't mean anything except the number flaked off.

> Any of you have an example of a step tablet print that doesn't have
> this
> inversion thing???

I don't tend to keep them around, but why not make one of your own?

I rummaged around in the studio and found one test strip, not very
exceptional but here it is, and it shows what a normal test strip
looks like, with some number of tonal steps and then white to the
end, except for the numbers printed in tone. The number 21 is
missing, not because it flaked off, but because it fell beyond the
edge of the emulsion.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/teststrip.html
Katharine