RE: Kallitype Paper Pre-Soak, Sizing

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 01/31/06-09:28:10 AM Z

Probably you've got off-line replies to this question (many list members
messages bounce; probably because of the recently installed / configured
anti-spam software the server is running - Gord can you please
elaborate on this?).

Well, my guess (speculation) would be: (Please correct me if I'm wrong -
but not harshly...)
Oxalic acid is used to neutralize / eliminate the alkali buffer in the
paper. Since pt/pd coating solution is acidic, putting it onto an alkali
paper will neutralize some of it; impeding image formation (probably
giving grainy & flat prints and weak Dmax). Maybe some other mild acids
also can be used(?) but since oxalic acid is usually part of the
sensitizer (Ferric Oxalate), it makes sense to use it - instead of
adding an alien compound into the process. Kallitype sensitizer is the
same as pt/pd, so neutralizing / acidifying an-otherwise-non-suitable
paper with oxalic acid may also work for Kallitype.

(?)

Regards,
Loris.