Re: A camera question for alt-photo.

From: Peter Marshall <petermarshall_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 19:52:55 +0100

My take on the D200/5D debate would be that the Nikon is a better camera
in terms of handling and build - and I've used mine in heavy rain
without problems, and there are things like auto ISO that work so much
better than on Canon. But that the Canon has a better sensor, so if you
are prepared to use a camera that is a little less intuitive and needs
rather more care in handling, the results, particularly at ISO 1600 are
better.

I weighed up all the pros and cons and my decision was for Nikon, but
many others would be better served by Canon. One of the factors that
came into my decision was the Nikon 18-200VR lens, and another was the
10.5mm semi fisheye, both impressive in their different ways and in my
camera bag, along with a 12-24mm. Though I do also use fixed lenses
such as the 20mm f2.8.

So when you are comparing costs, make sure you look at a system rather
than just a camera body.

Personally I'd buy a second-hand 4x5" as there are some incredible
bargains available, and that would leave enough money for a D70s if not
a D200. With 4x5 there is absolutely no point in buying new, in fact the
only cameras I'd suggest buying new are recent digital cameras. Anything
else you can get in mint condition at sometimes incredible but always
useful savings.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
31 Budebury Rd, STAINES, Middx, TW18 2AZ, UK
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......