RE: palladium bleedoff

From: Marek Matusz <marekmatusz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:34:48 +0000

Chris,
I posted a note yesterday, but it never showed up on the list.
The problem you are running into is that some of the sensitizer is sitting
on top of the paper and is not absorbed. It is then washed away in the
developer / wash solutions. Try diluting your solution with water to allow
for a longer contact with paper to soak the developer deeper into the paper.
However you have mentioned that the humidity is higher now and that would be
counter this idea. Tween 20 helps to soak the solution into the paper and it
should help as well.

The second idea is that your developer is off. The sensitizer dissolves in
the developer before palladium gets reduced. This dissloved palladium is
reduced in a developer solution creating a bleed. Some sensitizer have more
tendency to do that, but it might be a property of the developer as well.
The developer should reduce your palladium before it has a chance to
dissolve any, so I would not rule out the mixed citrate as culprit here.
I use potassium oxalate developer and never observed bleeding in palladium
printing.
Mix a new batch of your old developer formula and let us know.
Marek, Houston