Re: "Split-tone" with gum.

From: Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto_at_montana.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:12:36 -0600

I don't know if this is what is happening in your case (probably not) but
the terms we used were that certain colors in mixture flocculate, granulate,
and/or separate from each other. With granulation they separate into the
hollows of the paper, flocculation has to do with electrostatic charge they
seem to think...but in watercolor practice this was a technique to exploit,
especially in wash effects. It happens beautifully with the phthalos mixed
with reds to create a deep shimmery green black.

Granulation also means some pigments will look grainier in gum printing
because of their tendency to settle or clump.

BTW I've seen Ernestine's liquid emulsion prints, not gums, in person that
she makes on handmade paper/pulp and they are gorgeous.
Chris