RE: Determining SPT with gum Was: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: davidhatton_at_totalise.co.uk
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:15:07 +0100
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Hi Loris,
I intend trying all the suggestions I got back from the list as I am as a babe in
arms. I certainly shall get back with my results. As long as people understand
that I know that I lack authority in this field and that my results may vary
wildly from those garnered by those more experienced than I. :)

>BTW, to all: How do you determine your standard printing time with gum?

Gum, in my experience, can't really be compared with normal (silver, iron,
platinum etc.)photographic processes, there being far more variables inherent in
the way it works.

In the beginning, I determined that I would develop automatically for no more
than 30 minutes. This was purely arbitrary based on information gathered from
books, the list etc..The rest of the process is based on the development time. I
determined the SPT by using a stepwedge and guesstimated exposure time (initially
10 mins.) to attain two solid steps at steps 1 and 2. The all the rest is as the
system says. It seems to work. Although, having said that the RH has shot up in
the last few weeks causing an increas in speed. That's no problem though because
I can develop for hours if I need to whereas for other processes one can't. Oh
oh.. The power has just gone off (first time today - whoopee) - must log off.
Hope this helps. Not very technical I'm afraid, it's all a bit seat of the pants
for me :)

Regards,

David H