Re: Determining SPT with gum Was: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 03:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

davidhatton@totalise.co.uk writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would add to that comment by saying that with a correctly curved negative
> for
> your personal pigment, paper, sizing, exposure and development, more than
> one
> coat is unneccesary. I know Terry doesn't like 'curves' though..
>
> Regards
>
> David H

David

I made my first digital negative some fifteen years ago and I am fully aware
that curves are appropriate for some processes. In fact it is quite fun
working out one's own, (you do not need fancy maths to do it). With gum however,
there are so many variables, that a single curve becomes a Procrustean bed.

Although, in curiosity, I have made a single coat gum, I am sorry that it is
not on display yet, it is the multicoat gum, with all its variables, which
gives me the most creative satisfaction.

Strangely enough making curves for platinum and judging how to make the next
gum coat, require similar visual judgements.

Terry

Terry