Re: Determining SPT with gum Was: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:49:07 -0700

Yves, you'r still harping on the same wrong note, I see, after all
this time. I stopped reading your posts months ago, because you
seemed determined to misunderstand me. and after a while one realizes
that further clarification and explanation isn't going to make any
difference, and that one might as well save one's energy. But it
seems you've changed your address, so this one came up in the alt-
photo folder.

Having read it I'll say this: if you had been printing gum for the
last six months or year or however long it's been since our last
conversation, you would be a very capable gum printer by now.

I tell people that printing gum is the best way to learn how to print
gum, not because my intention is to discourage people from printing
gum, but because I happen to believe that printing gum is the very
best and fastest way to learn to print gum. But I've never advocated
just playing around and having fun; I recommmend a very systematic
approach, changing one variable at a time, noting what happens,
changing another variable, noting what happens. By doing this, you
come to understand gum in an intuitive way, and then from then on you
can print any emulsion capably without ever having to worry about the
details again. Like I said, there are many roads to the kingdom,
and I have no particular argument with those who choose a different
path than mine. But you're never going to get there if you spend your
time sitting beside one of the roads throwing rocks at the
travelers going by. Pick a road and get going, for heaven's sakes.
Thank you,
Katharine