RE: palladium drydown and developer

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:42:22 -0400

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:28:47 -0500, "Eric Neilsen"
<e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net> said:

> I don't think that you can only attribute drydown to paper shrinkage
> either.
> The thin papers such as Bien Fang have a extreme "dry down" but the paper
> is
> not getting that much smaller. I relate it more to the opacity of the
> paper
> when dry and wet.

If that is in fact the mechanism, then the dry down should not increase
contrast.

I'm ok with having two or more components of drydown, some due to
increase in density of image-forming particles, and some others due to
other optical changes to the binder or the substrate.

Commercial papers have surface created on gelatin overcoat or gelation
with matting agent, and they are different from raw exposed paper fiber.
In my hand coated paper, I see "dulling" in highlights and drydown in
shadows, although I size my paper heavily with gelatin, and my emulsion
also contains gelatin. Drydown can be reduced by using minimum gelatin
that is very well hardened. If I use more gelatin with not enough
hardener, drydown is more noticeable.