RE: palladium drydown and developer

From: Eric Neilsen <e.neilsen_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:28:47 -0500

This is the "drydown" that I was referring to Chris. The other effect I have
always though more as dull down. While many here seem to connect the two,
drydown as taken from the silver gelatin days, was to me, the wet print
looking lighter. I don't recall reading, or seeing discussion about the
dulling of the print surface. With platinum/palladium printing unlike silver
printing, uncleared ferric can confuse the eye into seeing density where
none will remain. And as with prints that will later be toned with selenium
in the silver world, pt/pd prints that will later be sprayed or treated
should be printed with those future steps in mind; even steps such as the
addition of optical brighteners.

I don't think that you can only attribute drydown to paper shrinkage either.
The thin papers such as Bien Fang have a extreme "dry down" but the paper is
not getting that much smaller. I relate it more to the opacity of the paper
when dry and wet.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9