Re: 1st & 2nd Cyanotype

From: Ender100_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:43:19 -0400 (EDT)

I recently did a one on one workshop with a delightful young man from
Switzerland. He doesn't have a densitometer or a scanner. He did have a spot
meter though and he asked if it could be used.

So as a test, we did the following.

I have one of those magnifying glass/ring light combinations that I use for
spotting prints. We postitioned the glass in a fixed position about 6 inches
above the surface of a table so we could move the tonal palette around
beneath it. We then used the spot meter to read the steps. The values were then
placed in a spreadsheet and inverted the converted to a % of the largest
fraction. This gave percentages of reflection density.

Later I compared the values to those from my densitometer and I'll be damned
if it wasn't the same curve....quite accurate considering the method! So try
it out if you have a spot meter.

Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives