1st & 2nd Cyanotype

From: G Guhan Gunaratnam <guruguhan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:43:13 -0400

Hello,

I made a couple cyanotypes (Ware type II) last night and I was hoping I
could get some feedback. I followed the instructions on Mike Wareıs site.
They are only first attempts, Iım pretty happy with the results. Both were
done with the same drop count, exposure and clearing time, only the paper is
different.

* unknown papers (I was given some old, dirty paper from a pro silver
printer who dabbled with Pt/Pd at one point ­ when I first got it I first
washed the paper and was able to remove most of the dust/dirt that had
settled on it, I believe the first paper could be Strathmore Bristol, the
second Iım not sure)
* drops = 12
* foam brush
* after sensitizing paper sat for 2mins, then used hair dryer (cool setting)
* approx 15mins exposure (under a nuArc)
* humidity was uncontrolled (paper not pre-humidified, room was on the dry
side)
* room temp was 23C
* used Toronto tap water to clear (when I used pH strips to test I read it
at 6-6.5, but Iım starting to think that either Iım reading the strips
incorrectly, or something else is wrong with them)
* 3% hydrogen peroxide to bring out image immediately
* more tap water to clear peroxide

The image can be found here (sorry, I donıt have a scanner so I just shot
this with my digital camera):

http://www.gunaratnam.ca/_MG_4304.jpg

Like I said, this was a first shot at it. I know I should increase the
humidity in both cases and use a slightly acidic clearing bath ­ but I just
wanted to see the results like this. I believe the increased humidity will
help in applying the sensitizer evenly (a problem in both). The print on
the first paper (could be Strathmore bristol) has some kind of
mottling/speckling (easiest to see in the sensitized, but unexposed areas of
the top print). After doing the first print I thought it might be because I
didnıt filter the sensitzer enough when I made it (though when making it I
filtered it twice through a medium grade filter paper) but the effect is not
there in the second print ­ leading me to believe its the paper.

Seeing how the second print came out, my first thought was ­ too long an
exposure (for this paper). Is that the correct conclusion, or should I be
thinking, poor clearing or something else? What can you say about the two
papers? (eg. ³the second one is ___adjective___², ³the first one shows more
___adjective___ than the second).

Iıll be using the second mystery paper again for the next test. Will
prehumidfy the paper, do a shorter exposure and try to properly clear it
(maybe put into a weak citric acid bath first then clear with the toronto
tap water).

As always your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this
lengthy post

Regards,
Gu