Re: ULF Negative Storage

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:57:35 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: ULF Negative Storage

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Murray Leshner wrote:
>
>> Someone makes something called L-velopes...I'll see if I
>> can find the name.
>> The U-Line stuff is unlikely to be intended for archival
>> use, just shipping.
>> Might want to double check your resources to confirm
>> ...someone told me glassine is inherently acid-free.
>> You can get stamp sheets in glassine at USPS, but I
>> don't know size limits, and they probably wouldn't sell
>> empties.
>> Murray
>
> Murray, My understanding about glassine is that it turns
> into glue, or glue-ish when wet, and would therefore not
> be safe storage for film, especially around a darkroom. I
> doubt it's pH neutral, too, tho that may be sheer
> superstition. I haven't checked it.
>
> J.

   you will find considerable literature at the Conservatioi
On Line site at: http://www.palmpsest.stanford.edu
   I did a site search for Glassine and found:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn10/wn10-3/wn10-302.html
Which lists storage materials in order of preference. The
only mention of Glassine is that is a prohibited material by
archivists.
  Another paper is at:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/roosa/roosa1.html

It states:
Materials
Many commercially available enclosures are labeled
"archival" or "acid-free". However, some of these same items
may contain lignin, dyes, sizing agents, coatings,
plasticizers, or other harmful additives. Never use
enclosures made from unprocessed woodpulp paper, glassine,
or polychloride (PVC) to house or store photographs. Avoid
products made from colored papers because they often contain
dyes or inks that are unstable and will migrate or bleed
onto photographs or otherwise adversely affect the
photographs stored within. For an enclosure material to be
completely safe it must meet or exceed the specifications in
ANSI standard IT9.2-1991 (or the latest revision) including
the Photographic Activity Test (PAT). Purchase enclosure
materials from a reputable supplier.

    The search also produced a large number of photographs
of silvering caused by Glassine storage envelopes.

    The first paper listed is the one to look at for
recommended materials.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA