RE: My papyrus adventures

From: Kate M <kateb_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:58:44 +1200

Thanks Eric, that sounds good, but I don't have an NZ translation for
drafting tape......is it the almost clear tape that librarians use for
fixing books? We call it magic tape here; it's repositionable. I tried the
mounting tissue/aluminium plate combo a few years ago but that all ended in
tears - the mounting tissue I could get wouldn't DISmount. My troubles were
with coating silver emulsion on 300gsm watercolour paper, which tends to
buckle unevenly when coated. I tried the framer's tape solution, but I like
to leave the deckle edge on the paper. I was most displeased that my
lecturer at the time didn't tell me that the tape wasn't removable! As I was
enlarging, I wasn't using a contact frame. I finally came up with a "Heath
Robinson" solution - de-tacked double-sided sellotape on masonite, which was
sticky enough to hold the paper but not so sticky as to tear it when
removed.

If you haven't heard of W Heath Robinson,
http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/whrobin.htm I'm sure you would love his
imaginary contraptions.

Regards
Kate