Re: Light sensitive compounds for alternative daguerreotypie

From: Scott Small <toxwander2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

Jon-

The Pt/Pd aren't significantly light-sensitive salts.
They rely on the ferric ion mixed in the sensitizer to
render them light sensitive - in those cases they are
using iron instead of silver. My understanding is that
the paper could be exposed with just a ferric oxalate
coating and then developed in a platinic solution, but
it would be a flippin' *expensive* jug of developer. I
just got some ideas on how to do a Pt based dag, but
haven't had time to play with it yet.

The gilding of your dags - I assume (not having time
to dig in the books) that the gold plates the silver,
protecting it from atmospheric sulfides.

Tox

--- Jonathan Danforth <jonathan@danforthsource.com>