Re: Light sensitive compounds for alternative daguerreotypie

From: Jonathan Danforth <jonathan_at_danforthsource.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:57:19 -0400

Ryuji,

Thanks for your response.

What I fail to understand is why things like platinum/palladium prints
and chrysotypes work. None of those three processes use silver unless
I'm missing something. If a piece of off-the-shelf B&W paper is just a
silver slurry smeared on paper and a piece of handmade platinum paper is
the same thing but substituting platinum for silver, what's the difference?

I'm frankly not sure what the gold chloride step does chemically but it
certainly makes the image on the dag plate more durable and enhances
contrast. If you're not careful and heat the solution too long on the
plate, solarization starts to occur in highlights. The whole gilding
process is unrelated to the photosensitive part of what's going on with
a daguerreotype though.

-Jonathan

--
http://photographs.danforthsource.com