Re: One coat gum - first one for me - how is it for you?

From: davidhatton_at_totalise.co.uk
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:46:31 +0100
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Hello Katherine,
It's good to see you back. You're right the pigment is PR101 Rouge de Vien by
Maimeriblu. I saw some gumprints by Demachy and Puyo in this colour whilst I was
in the UK and I liked it. They called it by a differant name though..can't
remember now what it was.. vacantly staring into space..

Thanks for your comments about the image and thanks for taking the time to look.
I think using the Photoflood (which I obviously got from you - the idea not the
bulb) controls staining to a great extent whilst maintaining good contrast. I
have to say that in all the old gumprints I have seen, paper white is a rarity
indeed. But then contrast is something I have a problem with. Should a print have
the full range of tones from paper white to the darkest possible rendering of
that particular process to be successful? I find the gum process difficult to
control in the highlights as the development is so, what's the word, sensitive,I
suppose, to every little thing. The rotation of the planet, polar wobble,
atmospheric friction etc..all effect the gum. Loris is indeed a contrast man and
his prints are lovely to see (I have two) but he works in processes where
contrast defines the image more or less. As you say, there's room enough for all.
Once again, thanks for your response and the guidance your website gives to us all,

Best Regards,

David H.

---- - Madasafish - Voted Best Heavy Consumer Broadband Provider in the 2006 Internet Industry Awards http://www.madasafish.com/