Re: gold print

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 05:34:26 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 15/6/06 9:52:24 am, mail@loris.medici.name writes:

> Thanks Marc. I've read Mike Ware's article. Unfortunately the chemicals he
> mentions aren't available to me here in Istanbul. Will try the other way
> (similar to yours and Marek's).
>
> Regards,
> Loris.

Loris

Mike does tend to overcomplicate things.

The chrysotype rex process is far more simple and uses chemicals that you
almost certainly have on your shelves. Probably one of the most surprising thing
about the gold 'rex' process is that it is not expensive..It has very good
provenance in that is firmly based in the work of Sir John Herschel.

Mike Ware, Mike Maunder and I have all examined Herschel's papers, as
anyone is free to do at the library of the Royal Society in London, but Mike Ware
seems have missed the point that Herschel was suggesting something simple.
My own purpose in examining Herschel's papers was to confirm my own
experimental results in finding an effective and consistent method of repeating my
experimental result in the first days of my Wedgwood to Bromoil alternative
photography course.This work became my retro-invention programme.

Although I have demonstarted the chrysotype rex process at three
international conferences and it has been described in a number of journals and magazines,
Mike did not acknowledge its existence in his recent survey of gold processes
in his article in the journal of the History of Photography.

Terry