Re: media for oil prints

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:04:23 -0700

P.S., I did a quick search and found PY 74. It's an arylide, which
doesn't tell me much, because there are arylides and then there are
arylides-- PY 1 and PY3 are not very lightfast; PY 65 and PY 97 are
very lightfast. The fact that PY 74 isn't used in any artists paints
makes me wonder about its lightfastness. I'd recommend looking it up
through Color International; I can't right now because I have to go
finish clearing stuff out of the house I've just moved out of.
kt

On Jun 19, 2006, at 7:47 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> [...]
> have been chosen for tricolor gum printing. Daniel Smith offers
> lithographic inks in 20 colors or so. The phtalo and the
> quinacridone red (PV19-- I wish Daniel Smith wouldn't do that: give
> one pigment the name of another pigment, but I digress) Of the
> yellows, I wouldn't recommend Hansa yellow light, which is PY3, a
> not completely lightfast pigment. I don't know about the Hansa
> yellow medium; they list it as PY 7 4(LF) which is weird. If they
> mean 74, I don't know of such a pigment. The Hansa deep (Py 65)
> may be too deep, but may work too depending on what kind of colors
> you want to mix.
>
> P.S. Back to Jack: I guess I don't understand why someone who
> subscribes to the list doesn't have his account set to
> automatically accept messages that are addressed the list; why
> should each individual person who posts to the list have to assure
> Jack's spam filter that the post is legitimate mail, when it should
> be easy enough to set it so that anything that comes through the
> list is assumed to be legitimate mail?
>

> On Jun 19, 2006, at 4:32 AM, Jack Brubaker wrote:
>

>> Gordon,
>>
>> My experience is with lithography not oil prints, but yes you can
>> use three
>> colors to mix your pallet. The only problem with the magenta,
>> cyan, yellow
>> inks is that they are made for commercial printing and are usually
>> less
>> permanent colors than the art lithography inks from people like
>> Daniel
>> Smith.
>>
>> Jack
>>

>>> From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
>>> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:10:30 -0600
>>> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>>> Subject: media for oil prints
>>>
>>> Have had a little time to play with oil prints.
>>>
>>> I tried modifying an oil pigment by adding calcium carbonate.
>>> Put some
>>> pigment on a tile added a bit of calcium carbonate and worked them
>>> together with a putty knife.
>>>
>>> I ended up with a sort of powdery pigment that would not
>>> differentiate
>>> between the wet and dry portions on the oil print.
>>>
>>> Did I add to much calcium carbonate?
>>>
>>> Are there any other things that can be used to increase the body
>>> of the
>>> ink - or rather make the ink less sticky so that it will
>>> differeniate
>>> between the wet and dry parts of the print?
>>>
>>> David Lewis offers a clay based stiffening powder - is anyone
>>> familiar
>>> with this?
>>> http://www.bromoil.com/supplies.htm#Lewis%20Pigments
>>>
>>> I am just looking for a way to have a variety of colors to use on
>>> oil
>>> prints. Could I just buy Red Blue and Green litho inks and use
>>> these to
>>> mix the colors I need? or should I use cyan, magenta and yellow?

>>> http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
>>> Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan