Re: Dry Plates too!!

From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:01:18 -0400

Hi,

Since we are on the topic of "Dry Plate" as the carry base for the
emulsion, I am thinking in terms of glass dry plate as the carrying
medium. I have a number of 8x10 and 5x7 glass plate holders, and I
measured the thickness of one of the glass plates that shattered in
transit. It is 1.5mm in thickness. Was this a standard thickness for
glass plate?

Were would I be able to acquire glass plate in that thickness? I am
assuming the local hardware store is out since window glass is not
usually the flattest of glass that one can find nor the right thickness.
  Is there someone in N. America that still makes glass plates, for
scientific purposes? I read somewhere that astronomers still use glass
plates for making time exposures over several nights. Where do they get
their plates?

   Any clues and information would be most welcome.

Regards,
Bogdan

--
   Bogdan Karasek