Re: Dry Plates too!!

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:55:12 -0400 (EDT)

From: Robert Newcomb <newcombr@uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Dry Plates too!!
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:09:20 -0400

> I too am interested in learning to make a gelatin emulsion that can
> be coated onto glass for in camera use. Since very large sheet film
> is getting harder to get and way more expensive I am motivated to do
> something for myself. I have used photo paper in pinhole and lens
> cameras in the past and can be quite happy with the slow speed and
> non- panchromatic light response.

That's a more realistic first goal.

> The store bought emulsions seem to suffer from fog,
> vary from batch to batch due to age and are expensive.

Well, you'll have the same problem with your home-made emulsion.
In order to make the emulsion keep better, you'll have to have
additional chemicals (that are not available from your favorite
photographic suppliers) and refrigeration.

Another problem with paper negative is that paper emulsions have very
low resolution.

Glass plates also have interesting flaws such as halation, unless
antihalo coating is made. People in this group would probably rather
have halo for interesting effect, though.