Re: Dry Plates too!!

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

From: Robert Newcomb <newcombr@uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Dry Plates too!!
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:51:15 -0400

> I couldn't say what was "standard" when glass dry plates were in
> common use, standards then seemed to be a little less "standard".
> I'd have to measure a number of different brands of plates and
> probably different sizes to start getting an idea of what was the
> most common thickness. But...

I think the standard was 1.6mm or 1/16mm glass, but I don't see much
problem with 1.5mm. Look up old edition of Focal Encyclopedia from 60s
or older darkroom reference books.

> As far the flatness of hardware glass goes, the nice people
> shooting wet plate images often use ordinary window glass from a
> hardware or picture framing shop - no problem.

Technically, plate glass was used for photographic applications back
then, but today's float glass is very often usable for dry plates. If
your camera is 5x7 or 8x10, don't go to stores to order custom
cut. It's far easier and cheaper to buy pre-cut replacement glass for
cheap 5x7 frames. Those MCS Industries frames sold at discount stores,
etc.