frame shop glass = float glass

From: Murray Leshner <murrayatuptowngallery_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

I know more about frame shop glass than plate glass...I only order 'plate' glass in the form of 1/4" mirror for people who don't like the thinner kind.

  The 'brand name' glass I get in boxes is float glass...rarely, one finds a spot of tin (the glass is, or at least used to be, floated on molten tin) on the surface.

  Re: Flatness...I have made ground glass with it and never noticed anything 'funny' with grit about 500 or coarser. However, I tried 5 micron ( ~1000 grit ) Aluminum Oxide and was utterly frustrated with the 'waves' or ripples that were in the glass.

  Say, does one put emulsion on smooth glass, or etched/ground glass for negative plates?

  Thanks

  Murray

Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football ’06 - Go with the leader. Start your league today!