Re: czaphotography.com website up

From: Peter Marshall <petermarshall_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:44:08 +0100

I've sent invoices in the past few months to two people who have used my
work from the web without permission, one on a commercial web site, and
the other in a magazine. No problem with size on the web of course, in
the magazine the image was printed at around 3x2 inches from a 600x400
pixel image.

Money is now in my bank from 2 sales, the main one of which I would
almost certainly not have made if the images had been protected on the
web. I charged them the full 'normal' commercial rate for their usage
and they paid, one with profuse apologies (which I believe) for his
oversight, the other rather grudgingly. Often clients will haggle and
get a considerable discount, but these guys were in no position to do so.

Of course there almost certainly will be people who have used pictures
without me finding out, but I suspect these are mainly non-commercial
usage which I would have allowed anyway at no cost.

But no, there is no way you can make anything approaching a good
original print from a 600x400 pixel image, although your images may get
used in other ways.

Regards

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk