Re: Alt List correspondence on "Nabble'

From: Camden Hardy <camden_at_hardyphotography.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:51:29 -0600 (MDT)

> I think it is a real problem. All list control is lost this way.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but...what control? This list is
freely and publicly available to read/post; that seems to be the opposite
of control to me. If all the members of this list want control, I suggest
restricting membership.

>I see it as a very big problem that someone can post anonymously \to
>this list. The list is not restricted in membership but we expect to
>know who we are communicating with, and a real name at that. There
>has been some abuse of this in the past and it led to a lot of
>problems.

I'm a fairly new member to this list, so I'm not aware of the problems
mentioned here. But if anonymity is a problem (and has been in the past),
why allow anyone and everyone to join the list? Make it members-only and
those problems are solved.

As far as knowing for sure who you're talking to, without restricting
access, the internet isn't a very good place. For all you know, I may not
be who I claim to be. ;)

It just seems to me that this list is all about the free exchange of
information between professionals and amatuers alike. Identity isn't all
that important to me on this list. Maybe I'm alone on that one...

Camden Hardy

camden@hardyphotography.net
http://www.hardyphotography.net