Re: Gertrude Käsebier

From: Jan Kapoor <jkapoor_at_jankapoor.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:13:06 -0400

Kasebier is one of my favorite photographers. I have a copy of a
beautiful book about her filled with very fine reproductions of her
work: "Gertrude Kasebier: The Photographer and Her Photographs" by
Barbara L. Michaels; published 1992 by Harry N. Abrams, New York; ISBN
0-8109-3505-8. It is available from Amazon.com, and seems to be the only
book currently available about Kasebier.

She began to photograph in the late 1880s, using dry plates at first,
then roll film when it became available, and hand held cameras. Her
personal images are in the soft-focus pictorial style, with a certain
amount of hand-manipulation in the printing process, and she was a
member of the Photo-Secessionist group, along with Stieglitz, Steichen,
Clarence White and Alvin Langdon Coburn. The first issue of Stieglitz's
"Camera Work" was entirely devoted to her work. She was also a very
successful portrait photographer.

Jan

Fine art photography of Jan Kapoor at www.jankapoor.net
Pinhole, large format, alternative printing processes and digital.