Gums a la Demachy and Puyo

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:29:50 -0400 (EDT)

Recent correspondence about one coat gum prints led me to try our
'retro-invention' method in finding a method which would come close to reproducing the
'sanguine' prints which, I assume, were made using only one coat. I did some
research in journals of the 1890s but the most telling comment was from
Demachy who said that he never weighed anything out he just did things until they
looked right.

My own method was to consider how one might produce a one coat gum using a
negative which I had been using for platinum printing. It struck me that as the
negative I proposed to use was one more likely to be successful in the making
of a carbon print it would be a worthwhile approach to combine aspects of both
carbon and gum printing. I am delighted to say that it worked. I will include
the approach in my paper on 'retro-invention' at the Photohistory XIII
conference in Rochester in October.

Terry