Re: Inkjet printer (large format)?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/01/06-04:28:54 PM Z

Mark, your messages are delivered as an attachment to another
email. Is it hard to fix that?

I own a 1270, though I don't use it much because I'm a silver gelatin
user and digital negative and color printing are not my usual things.
However, I occasionally make large color prints with this
printer. What I found is that I get visible banding problem unless I
use the highest resolution with unidirectional printing motion of the
head. I assume this is all that's used by serious photographers
anyway, but it's kinda annoying. The banding is most apparent with
glossy paper and it's much better on semimatte surface, which is good
for prints but probably not for negatives.

Does anyone make a scanning laser printer for color or b&w paper? That
is a printer that exposes photographic paper by scanning laser. A user
can then process the exposed paper in RA-4 or Dektol, for example, and
in the case of b&w, tone the final prints. These systems are
commercially used for color printing but they are unnecessarily
automated. I know that there may not be a b&w paper product suitable
for scanning laser exposure, but if necessary I can make my own fiber
paper for this application... If such a device existed, people can
also make real siver negatives out of a printer... problem solved??

A closest product I know of is a cheap consumer quality Fuji printer
that exposes instant printing paper (paper that works like Polaroid)
by LED. A giant version of that printer designed for much larger size
would be good...