RE: old UV tubes less contrast?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 03/03/06-04:38:01 AM Z

If a negative prints well with Grade 0 paper, that doesn't necessarily
mean it will print well with Vandyke. Because AFAIK, Vandyke's density
range requirement is around log 1.9 (assuming 0.3 b+f, that makes an
absolute dmax of log 2.2 on the negative!) and if I'm not wrong, you
won't be able to print such a negative with good blacks even on Grade 0
paper.

Double coated and gold toned Vandykes are pretty good dmax-vise IME.
Almost as good as (if not better - depending on paper brand) a
silver-gelatine print on matte paper...

What is your enlarged-negative-making method? Or, do you use in-camera
negatives? See "Less Is More" article in Unblinking.eye if you enlarge
your negatives in darkroom (and have access to ortochromatic film + not
afraid of dealing with sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate), Mark
Nelson's "Precision Digital Negatives" or Dan Burkholder's "Making
Digital Negatives for Contact Printing" are the books you should read
for making negatives digitally. You don't need a densitometer (having
one is definitely a plus, but it's not a "must"), a scanner will do the
job (I measure densities using a scanner - as described in Mark's book).
A couple of Stouffer 21-step or Mark's 31-step tablets would be very
helpful (having them is almost a "must" - makes your life a lot easier).

Hope this helps,
Loris.