Re: old UV tubes less contrast?

From: david drake ^lt;daviddrakephoto@sympatico.ca>
Date: 03/02/06-08:26:15 PM Z

Loris, thanks very much for your reply.

I guess I should have been more clear that these are the first
prints I have made with this light box and with this specific
negative. I am getting pretty good results, especially compared with
my VDB efforts in the past. However, I don't have anything with which
to compare the prints.

  I think your probably correct in that the negative needs just a
little more contrast. I don't have a densitometer and, therefore,
judging a negative of good contrast for the process is difficult.
 From a previous posting I did learn that contact printing them on RC
paper at grade 0 should produce results approximate to VDB prints.
However, this is probably a good starting point; as there are many
other factors at play.

I'm getting good whites with no fogging. I guess what I'm really
after is more dmax while retaining good mid and higher tones (more
contrast). It's difficult to know what this process is capable of
when all one has for reference is web images. Some of Wynn Whites
images on the Unblinking eye site have pretty incredible dmax.

I was concerned about the age of the tubes in the lightbox only
because it's in a co-operative darkroom I use and I have no idea how
old they are. I also remember reading somewhere that the really old
bulbs produce prints of less contrast, but perhaps this is not the case.

I would like to find a way of creating fairly consistent density in
my contact negatives. Perhaps a densitometer is the way to go.

Also, thanks Judy. I will give the tubes a good dusting. Your point
about changing anything in the vicinity is also quite valid: perhaps
I'll remove the other sheets of glass and felt are stored to the
sides of the box, at least during exposures.

cheers
david