Re: source for glutaraldehyde & Which gelatine ?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/06/06-03:38:17 AM Z

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 03:39:02 -0500 (EST), TERRYAKING@aol.com said:

> In my experience, if you use a photographic gelatine, which is more pure
> and
> harder than food gelatines, you will not get these problems.

There are great many kinds of photographic gelatins. They vary widely in
chemical, rheological, mechanical (dry), and other properties. There are
also modified gelatins, which are derived from natural gelatin by
attaching some nongelatin molecules at specific places on gelatin
molecules. So, unfortunately, saying "photographic gelatin" doesn't
really tell anything.

> Of course having a fair number of chemistry PhDs among my students helped
> give scientific backing to our experiments.

I live in the city of PhD's and know a lot of chemistry PhD's in many
branches of chemistry, but photographic chemistry is a very highly
specialized branch and most of them know very little about it... in
particular, gelatin chemistry is a very specialized field.